Role: Associate Producer, Marketplace
1. What’s the best professional decision you’ve ever made?
I’ve seen the most professional growth from taking on responsibilities and assignments that were outside of my comfort zone. By doing so, I learned that I am more versatile than I thought. I also found a deeper passion for the work I do and had some of the most fulfilling experiences.
2. What’s something you’ve learned from a professional setback or challenge?
I learned how to refocus myself and be open to constructive criticism. I also learned how to ask for feedback and to use it as a strategy to ensure that I stay motivated and persevere.
3. What is one thing you wish you would’ve known “then”?
To be confident in my professional abilities and intelligence. To not be afraid to use my voice because it has value.
4. How have you leveraged experiences you’ve had and connections you’ve made at NABJ/NAHJ conferences?
I got my first job in public media because of the contacts I made at a NAHJ conference. I started there as an intern and worked my way up – I am still with the same organization today!
5. What’s one of your favorite public media stories, podcasts, shows or series? Why?
One of my favorite podcasts is NPR’s Latino USA because many of its episodes include topics that are both inspiring and important. I can also relate to a lot of what they talk about as a Latina, because I’m someone who’s culture is a huge influence on my day to day life.
Follow Daisy: @daisypalacios_