Role: Alt.Latino Host, NPR
1. What the best professional decision you’ve ever made?
Back when I was just starting in journalism, I discovered I needed to augment what I was learning in school with the insight and advice from professionals that I was already working with.
I still use some of that advice to this very day.
2. What’s something you've learned from a professional setback or challenge?
Take a step back. Reexamine the situation. Then, determine if what I was doing or tried to do is still part of my professional plan.
3. What is one thing you wish you would’ve know “then”?
I would tell a young(er) Felix to have more patience with myself and mostly with others.
I would also tell him to never take anything personally - it’s always "only a job."
4. How have you leveraged experiences you’ve had and connections you’ve made at NABJ/NAHJ conferences?
Many of my experiences at previous conferences have allowed me to get advice from peers or mentors and to offer the same to others.
5. What’s one of your favorite public media stories, podcasts, shows or series? Why?
I am always listening for stories that speak to people like me, stories that don't have to explain cultural nuances or basic definitions.
Whether it be on NPR's news programs or on podcasts, I'm always listening for something that's beyond the established public radio audience.
Follow Felix: @Felixatjazz